Thursday 10 July 2014

15 Day Affirmation Challenge: Day 4 [Setbacks]

I am participating in PE's 15 day Affirmation Challenge. For more information, click here.

Today's challenge concerns setbacks. One of my biggest setbacks is anxiety. My anxiety about certain, usually important things, leads me to avoid them, which ultimately causes me to either panic while trying to get it done at the last moment, or to miss opportunities altogether.

In my anxiety about my future after graduation, it took me weeks to face up to updating my resume, and only because I had to submit it for an application. Still in a state of anxiety, I tend to avoid conversations related to my plans for the future, and sometimes even job hunting. It is only in rare moments of motivation that I find myself perusing job ads.

Ironically, the more time that passes without finding something, is the more anxious I get. But it's the same anxiety causing me to avoid what scares me.

"Identify an obstacle you're currently facing."
  • Career
"Identify actions to overcome this obstacle."
  • I have no choice but to face up to my anxieties and fears. I must examine the root cause of these fears and be honest with myself in whether these thoughts are true or not. 
  • I will do some research on what positions are available to those with my degree and try to get in touch with people who have the same qualifications as I in an effort to find out what more is available.
  • I will start a strategic job search and start sending out resumes.
"Create a new positive belief to help you overcome this obstacle."
  • I am competent and capable. My life is a sum of the choices I make, and I must act in spite of fear if I am to live a fulfilling one. There is no room for fear when chasing dreams.

Anxiety is a tough one for me. My tendency to avoid what scares me has not served me well. I would like to eventually be able to face things that cause me anxiety, but I suppose I should start small. I look forward to the day I am able to step forward into my dreams without, or despite fear. I look forward to the day I can be brave.

"I have the power to overcome any obstacle that stands in my way."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment